Skip to main content

THE SAUK LAKE ALTAR ROCK (Formerly Called The Viking Altar Rock)


The actor Peter Stormare (think "Fargo"), left, and myself visiting the Altar Rock in 2018 to film an episode for the new TV series "Secrets of the Viking Stone."  It was shown in 2020 and this year, 2021.  Photo taken by Elroy Balgaard.




To begin what is known about the Sauk Lake Altar Rock, I would like to point out that this icon of medieval-era Minnesota history seems to be one of a trifecta of icons that all share at least two features; the Sauk Lake Altar Rock, the Kensington Runestone and the Newport Tower all appear to be connected in a medieval setting to Scandinavians and to the Catholic Church.  In this sense, then, all three icons tend to lend support to one another's authenticity.

Beyond this, I would like to point out that an earlier regional take on the Sauk Lake Altar Rock is now seen by most historians as ill advised...that being the notion that the Altar Rock was visited and it's four stoneholes made by the Sir Paul Knutson party of men...who were supposedly in the Minnesota area looking for "the lost Greenlanders," an idea stubbornly fostered by the imagination of Hjalmar R. Holand.

Therefore, the subsequent notion of a "Viking Trail" is not tenable either--but also because the Viking Age was over about a quarter of a millennium before the carving of the KRS in 1362.  Historically speaking, there is no proof--only speculation--that such a party of men ever left Scandinavia in the first place, let alone that they returned.  Holand also believed, I think wrongly, that both the KRS and the Newport Tower were made by this same group of men.  He basically ended up attributing nearly all newly discovered medieval-era stoneholes and iron objects found in Minnesota to this imagined search party.

In this vein, I should point out that Holand also believed that the authentic Scandinavian-style stoneholes made in this region were hand-chiseled for the purpose of mooring boats.  However, geology proves that water levels around the mid-Fourteenth century were roughly what they are now.  Plus, in this forested region, stoneholes would not have been used to moor boats, as was practiced along rocky coastlines back in the Motherlands.  But, other than these few stumblings, Holand was--in my view--a very astute man and a superb lifetime advocate and defender of the KRS.

Below are photos (click on to enlarge) of the Altar Rock, some taken by me a few years ago, and some taken through the years by others.  I'm including here an article I wrote in the "Norwegian American" about the immense and impressive local landmark.  I've also included an article from "Todd County Historical Sites," which goes into Holand's views about the Altar Rock, in regards to the search party issue.  But, I've also included a chapter from one of Holand's books that gives a delightfully ethnographic--and I believe fairly accurate--view of the Sauk Lake Altar Rock going back to the late 1800's.

I recently (March, 2020) updated this essay by adding some rare photos sent to me by Greta (Swenson) Malings, the sister of a previous Altar Rock site owner from the 1990's.  I'm also including a typed manuscript she sent, which explains the local Knights of Columbus involvement with the Altar Rock during the 1970's and also explains how and by whom the aforementioned "Viking Trail" was developed.  I included here a photo I took of one of the State-authorized Viking Trail signs still up, north of Kensington, not far from Runestone Park.  Finally, I'm also including here an article I wrote last year about the Altar Rock and the Kensington Runestone for Alexandria's Echo Press.

As for what is known about the "recent" past ownership of the Altar Rock, John and Darlene Dols owned the rock before it was sold to the Knights of Columbus in Sauk Centre in 1972.  Apparently, the five-acre property was later sold to Kaj Swenson during the 1990's, but then returned to the Dols for re-ownership.  Bob and Pat Voyles, from Minnetonka, Minnetonka, are currently the owners of the Altar Rock property, having purchased it in 2017.  They intend on keeping the site open to the general public.  For directions and permission to visit the site, contact Bob Voyles at:  whitefox3@comcast.net.



























Very early 1940's photo of the Altar Rock, from the same Holand book shown above.  Plate VI:  "The Big Rock at Sauk Lake."  Notice there is not yet a large split in the rock emanating from one of the two vertical stoneholes in the foreground (marked by white sticks).



This group picture of about fifty people from the 1970's--possibly from 1971--was taken by Marion Dahm.  Longhand description of photo:  "First ceremony at 'Altar In Wilderness' on Assumption Day.  6 Catholic priests officiated with Bishop Spetz, Father Smeltzer and Father Thorgood all present."




This image of Rev. Paul Schmelzer is from an original Polaroid snapshot, the date and photographer unknown.  Apparently, a half-century ago, Rev. Schmelzer worked tirelessly to bring attention to the "Catholic validity" of the Altar Rock at Sauk Lake.  Longhand description of the photo:  "Rev. Paul Schmelzer holding altar stone on platform supported by rods in holes in altar stone, near Sauk Centre."











This, and the following two photos, are from the 1970's



















Comments

  1. Thanks for creating this blog. Will be checking it out as I can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote of confidence. Though your comment was short, you qualify for a free copy of my new book. If you'd like a copy, just give me a suitable address to send it to, at: whitefox3@comcast.net.

      Delete
  2. Having just stayed a week or so at a hotel on "Old Sauk Road" in Madison Wisconsin, I would like to ask what the word "Sauk" means and in which language is its origin? Also, if I was chosen for a free copy of the book, I would be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a few of the first comments to my new blog. Here is what Sauk means:

    1.
    a member of a North American people inhabiting parts of the central US, formerly in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa, now in Oklahoma and Kansas.
    2.
    the Algonquian language of the Sauk.

    Yes, you qualify for a free copy of my new book. Please provide a suitable address to my email: whitefox3@comcast.net
    adjective

    1.
    relating to the Sauk or their language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest son and I have always had an interest in the Kensington Rune stone. Now that I am retired, I will have time to explore the area and read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rainey. The Altar Rock would be a good place for you to begin your local explorations. I recommend that you read Hjalmar Holands book chapter here and then go to visit the stonehole Altar Rock. It's only about a half-hour drive from where the KRS was found. You can email me for directions: whitefox3@comcast.net. Since my wife and I own the property where the rock is located, you have my permission to go there. Just please put the chain with the sign back up when you leave. I recently cut the grass all around the rock for easier getting around it. You can also email me if you'd like to receive a free copy of my new book, since I haven't given five away yet. Thanks for your friendly comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever come across a rumor of another runestone that was uncovered in the 1950's just west of Sauk Centre?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing comes to mind. What can you tell me about it? I like to try to follow through on such rumors...if nothing else, maybe something could be found relating to the rumor, such as previously unknown stoneholes. Thanks for contacting me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, my mother, uncle, and grandfather have done archiological investigating on the Alter Rock property in the 1990's. We would like to share with you their findings. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten a nice follow-up email and have returned a lengthy response, along with a few links. I hope to have a good exchange of information, and I look forward to learning more about the prior archaeological investigation from the '90's. Thanks for contacting me.

      Delete

  9. The Dayle Ray that is mentioned on the last page as being the Chairman of the Viking Trail Committee was my father.

    He wan't just the chairman, the whole project was pretty much his idea and he used contacts he developed as a long-time local politician to get it through the Minnesota Legislature.

    Dayle was an avid amature historian who also wrote a couple of books about the history of Barrett, MN, his hometown.

    With all that, you would think he was a big Kensington Runestone supporter. Actually he was somewhat sceptical, possibly because his family was one of the very few non-Scandinavians in the area.

    What he was however, was a big booster of rural Minnesota and tourism promoter. I am sure he knew that the Viking Age was over by 1362 but he thought the name Viking Trail would catch the public's attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, thanks for filling in some details about the Altar Rock's past. I've wondered for a few years now if the mentioned Father Schmelzer is still alive. Like your father, he seems to have done a lot for the progression of some ideas towards the Rock's future.

      This icon seems to have a strange modern history of ownership and intended goodwill that didn't really spring forth very well, as I'm looking into the situation further. Apparently, the parcel of land, once owned by the Sauk Centre Knights of Columbus, was considered for a Todd County park about 50 years ago...but that idea somehow morphed into a geographically larger idea involving this so-called "Viking Trail" idea...with the would-be Altar Rock PARK being the last place on the trail, after Runestone Park.

      I'm having a hard time understanding how the idea for a Todd County park, and how the activities (and ownership) by the Knights of Columbus, dwindled down to...nothing...after so much interest in the 1970's.

      As you can tell from reading my take on the Altar Rock, I don't care for the idea of the Rock being on a highly fictionalized Viking Trail, any more than I care for the idea of Big Ole standing within several big paces of the Runestone Museum. Although there were good intentions all along the way, including those of your father, there doesn't seem to have been a very good outcome for the Sauk Lake Altar Rock site itself.

      I'm kind of surprised to see what happened...the Viking Trail signs still exist, but the Altar Rock itself has been pretty much forgotten by local Catholic entities and by local authorities alike--in spite of it being located just a short distance from where the Kensington Runestone was discovered. Alas, the original good intentions for the impressive local historical icon somehow have not yet panned-out, and I would like to see things change for the better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NORWAY LAKE, MINNESOTA: A Medieval "Bardiche" and a Submerged Runestone?

Norway Lake in Minnesota is approximately 50 miles from the small town of Kensington, where the Kensington Runestone (self-dated to 1362) was discovered by an immigrant farmer named Olof Ohman in 1898.  I was already aware of a medieval Scandinavian axe that was found in 1908 by a Norway Lake area fisherman named Ole Skaalerub (the axe is presently in a collection of iron weapons at Alexandria's Runestone Museum), but I didn't learn about a possible submerged runestone in the middle of Norway Lake until a few years later, when I came across a September/October 2012 article in the Atlantis Rising Magazine, entitled "Norsemen in Minnesota," with the subtitle  " The Kensington Rune Stone Is Not The Only Evidence For A Prehistoric Viking Presence ."  The magazine is now defunct, but I have included pertinent portions of the timeless and fascinating article in this presentation about a possible submerged runestone in Norway Lake: Excerpts from the

LOCATING THE SITE OF THE KENSINGTON RUNESTONE MASSACRE--Finding the Elusive "Lake With Two Skerries."

This posting is about solving a mystery.  By putting many clues together, I believe I have discovered where the "Lake With Two Skerries" referred to in the inscription carved into the KRS is located.  Much of the material contained in this blog presentation was provided to the Minnesota Historical Society a few short years ago, where it is presently archived within the KRS documentation holdings. Not by coincidence, I believe, a medieval Scandinavian battle axe was found in 1894 (four years before the KRS was unearthed), a foot and a half deep on the west bank of Davidson Lake, which is about one day's journey north from Runestone Hill.  My belief is that the exact finding spot of the battle axe helps to verify--like a time capsule--where the KRS campsite was likely located by this lake with two small islands.  In its inscription, the KRS indicates that a bloody massacre occurred where the men were camped by this lake. My purpose in this blog posting is to help corrob